Compact Flash SD card adapter

Have a cool tip for the fusion? Or maybe you're looking for one? Here's the place!!

Moderators: parametric, Jesse, jeebustrain

Compact Flash SD card adapter

Postby josemdavid » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:08 pm

I'm not sure anyone already entered this information somewhere in the forum, but I couldn't find it.

It may interest some of the members to know that an alternative solution to a Compact Flash card that's currently available is to use an SD do Compact Flash adapter with an SD card.

I've purchased this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Speed-SDXC ... 2079512850 from ebay, for ~6€, and it worked like a charm (except for a minor detail, the SD card gets too tight inside the adapter and it's a little bit hard to remove). There are other possible brands and suppliers, of course.

This has two advantages, first an SD card is currently much cheaper than a Compact Flash of equivalent capacity. Secondly many current laptops and tablets have an SD card slot, so the SD card can be used as an alternative way of moving files between the computer and the Fusion.

I've even used my adapter with a microSD card I had lying around from an old mobile phone, together with a microSD to SD adapter. So a two adapters tandem (microSD card -> SD adapter -> Compact Flah adapter). The Fusion recognized and formatted the card and had no problem storing and reading different types of files in it.
josemdavid

Re: Compact Flash SD card adapter

Postby Jesse » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:43 pm

Might be worth checking out, thanks for the tip :)
Tempus & Ludwig drums, Roto Toms-Djembe, Bongo's, Ibanez Bass, Fusion8HD, SUMO300 Amps, Alesis16 Firewire mixer, AKG D112-Behringer, B2-Shure, Beta 58a mics, Win10, Audigy soundcard, Audition3 & East West Goliath sound bank
Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Arevyn » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:02 pm

Thats really cool. I always wondered if a CF adapter would work. I know in my old QS an SD->PCMCIA adapter didnt work (but then again, QS's were notoriously fickle about which cards they liked to read anyhow)

Thanks for the heads up!
Arevyn
Junior
Junior

Postby parametric » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:45 pm

That is useful to know. CF cards are getting rarer especially the small capacity ones.

Whilst the largest the Fusion is said to handle - is 4Gb - I can't remember whether or not that is ABSOLUTE - by which, I mean can it use a larger card, but only format it to 4Gb? IIRC - Larger than 4Gb is not recognised.

With the HD, 80Gb was eventually fitted, but it will accept 128Gb (perhaps larger?), but only format it to 120Gb. (as my SSD is)

It's always good to have somewhere to go - when the technology gets "old" . .

parametric
Alesis Fusions 8SSD + 6SSD/384Mb/120Gb SSD/Yamaha SY85/8.5Mb/1024kb/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash/Akai ADVANCE61/NI Komplete10/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu Mate 15.04/M-Audio MicroTrack

http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
parametric
Extreme
Extreme

Return to Fusion Tips