Exceeding sample RAM, "failed to load"

General questions about the fusion belong here.

Moderators: parametric, Jesse, jeebustrain

Exceeding sample RAM, "failed to load"

Postby 2ManyKeys » Mon May 07, 2018 4:29 pm

Strictly as an experiment, I was creating a song with huge voices in each track to get a baseline for load times before and after SSD installation. I didn't get far.

I used one of the monster Novachord sounds on Track 1, Holy Grail piano on track 2, and then tried to create a third track. Unfortunately the Fusion always tries to load the Holy Grail piano for a new track and it started loading but quickly hit the following error.

<VEng>Failed to load:055_G_3_hgmf.
Error code:(0x0701000D)

I'm guessing this is what happens when the Fusion runs out of memory when trying to load up samples for a song.

I even got the whole machine to lockup once when playing around with various settings after hitting this error. Normally though it just displays the error and loading up a different song or program goes back to normal.

I think I need to get the RAM upgrades.

Could somebody verify this memory error for me? You should be able to reproduce it easily by creating a new song and creating tracks with large voices until it hits the end of memory. Obviously this is easier for a stock machine but even fully loaded 192M machines should be able to hit the end of their memory.

I don't want to order the RAM until somebody else reproduces this error. My Fusion operates well in all other conditions so I assume this is simply the normal out of memory error but I'd like to be sure.

Thanks,

Scott
2ManyKeys
Advanced
Advanced

Re: Exceeding sample RAM, "failed to load"

Postby 2ManyKeys » Mon May 07, 2018 7:41 pm

I'm 99% sure that Error code:(0x0701000D) is the system error when there is not enough contiguous space to load a sample into the RAM of a given Voice Engine. For instance, really large voices like NC346 RawVib simply will not load with my stock machine if I have been working on the Fusion for a while.

In order to load it I have to shut down with a very simple synth engine preset, start back up and load it immediately before loading any other samples.

This actually makes sense if you consider that the Fusion is doing it's best to retain samples in memory for the various modes. After using it for a while the voice enginee memory is getting fragmented. This makes it harder to allocate a large block of contiguous ram for loading a new sample. Ideally (in terms of fragmentation), the Fusion would free all ram before loading the new sample. That would result in a lot of unnecessary loading though and that can't be done when using Mix or Song modes with multiple tracks. At some point I think the Fusion's memory management does a less than optimal job and these errors will start showing up when loading really large samples. One might be able to load synth engine presets and smaller samples all day without this becoming a problem.

I have run all the system tests and individual memory diagnostics on all engines and everything tests perfectly.
2ManyKeys
Advanced
Advanced

Re: Exceeding sample RAM, "failed to load"

Postby 2ManyKeys » Mon May 07, 2018 9:33 pm

After numerous experiments I'm convinced this is simply an occasional bug in Fusion memory management. I went ahead and ordered the memory expansion from sector101.

I am becoming more familiar with the Fusion. Even with it's issues and shortcomings it's still an absolute monster workstation-synth that few modern machines compare to. There's some really wild stuff buried in there if you dig. Shortly I'll be posting some examples of the amazing things you can do with the S&H modulation channels.
2ManyKeys
Advanced
Advanced

Return to General