Fresh factory install - sound banks?

General questions about the fusion belong here.

Moderators: parametric, Jesse, jeebustrain

Fresh factory install - sound banks?

Postby 2ManyKeys » Tue May 01, 2018 7:38 am

If all goes well my Fusion 8HD should arrive in a few hours. After initial tests I may update the OS if necessary and I would also like to restore it to factory settings including all the sounds.

I have the Fusion_Image_v124.bin file for updating the OS. I assume that has all the factory sounds as well. Is that the case?

I read in the service manual about needing the Fusion_HD_Volume_v120.zip. I don't have that file and can't find it on the web.

Any pointers for this newb would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott
2ManyKeys
Advanced
Advanced

Re: Fresh factory install - sound banks?

Postby 2ManyKeys » Tue May 01, 2018 7:55 am

2ManyKeys
Advanced
Advanced

Postby jima » Tue May 01, 2018 10:11 am

The service manual was printed before 1.24 was released so refers to the 1.20 version which you don't need. The 1.24 OS bin file contains the OS and the factory sound ROM image. The latter didn't change much if anything between 1.20 and 1.24 so the 1.20 data list is still relevant. Most folks augment the factory set with the Preset5 bank which IIRC was developed to overcome what were felt to be fairly lacklustre factory programs not really showcasing the Fusion's capabilities.

Just off out so in a bit of a hurry to find links so attached the upgrade guide and the data list - hope they help. I have done it once or twice and it is fairly straightforward. You may already have this but you can get the Preset5HD bank from the downloads part of the 8HD section of the Alesis site here.

One strong recommendation - don't risk it with cheap and cheerful CF cards. In the 1-4GB range back then there were some real dogs with fleas, mentioning no names (e.g. Transcend). Use a known good one - you can always recycle it :)

Fusion Data list.pdf
(101.77 KiB) Downloaded 5 times

Alesis Fusion OS Upgrade.pdf
(217.87 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
Jim
Yamaha EX5, Yamaha AN1X, Moog Werkstatt, Wavestation SR, Nord G2 Engine, Yamaha TG-500, Korg Sigma, Korg Legacy Digital
Loves music but so little time.
jima
General
General

Postby 2ManyKeys » Tue May 01, 2018 11:03 am

Thanks for all the info!
2ManyKeys
Advanced
Advanced

Postby Drummond » Tue May 01, 2018 1:47 pm

Don't erase the banks that are in the HD as the previous owner may have a good set of sounds there. Make a backup before reinstalling everything and afterwards try the additional libraries that he had. Also, install the free hollowsound banks Alesis provided as they add a lot to the factory rom sounds. And there are tons of free sounds in the web.
Alesis Fusion 6HD, 384mb, 80gb; Alesis Vortex Wireless; Access Virus B; Univox Compac II; Hammond XK1C; Korg Kronos, 3gb/160gb; Moog Slim Phatty; Roland JP8000; Oberheim Matrix 1000; Behringer Deepmind 12; Yamaha Reface DX; Casio MT600 and PT82; Cubase 9.5; Steinberg UR824; Motu Microlite / http://www.estudiodrummond.com.br
Drummond
General
General

Postby parametric » Wed May 02, 2018 6:09 pm

Steve's Commercial Banks from HollowSun are now available FREE from here:

https://sites.fastspring.com/hollowsun/instant/fuseol (Nebulae, Novachord, Taurus)

The Freepacks were basically tasters for them, so it MAY be true that if you have those

three banks, then you don't really NEED the FreePacks?

I've been too lazy to check, but perhaps else someone has . . . .

(I can't recall if the Speak and Spell (for instance) are in the Commercial

Libraries anywhere?)

The FreePacks are also here: https://sites.fastspring.com/hollowsun/instant/fusfp

You need to fill in the forms to reach the links, but there's no money required . .

"FastSpring" ARE the authorised resellers for HollowSun's many products . . .

parametric
Alesis Fusions 8SSD + 6SSD/384Mb/120Gb SSD/Yamaha SY85/8.5Mb/1024kb/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash/Akai ADVANCE61/NI Komplete11 Ultimate/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu Mate 15.04/M-Audio MicroTrack

https://chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
parametric
Extreme
Extreme

Return to General