Sound Module Anyone?

General questions about the fusion belong here.

Moderators: parametric, Jesse, jeebustrain

Re: Sound Module Anyone?

Postby EXer » Mon May 21, 2018 3:15 pm

I cannot imagine my Fusion synth without its 88 keys Image

Its Fatar TP/40 piano action type keybed is quite playable and responsive, although it's the lightest version (the Fatar TP/40 comes in 4 flavours, see here: http://www.fatar.com/pages/TP_40_GH_ES.htm ).

But nevertheless if some day I come across an inexpensive used Studiologic master controller in good condition I might consider buying it and taking it apart to install its TP/40 graded hammer keybed into my 8HD in place of its TP/40 light keybed in order to have a more piano-ish feeling.
8HD + 2 x Sector101 EXM-E3 128MB DRAM modules
EXer
General
General

Postby 2ManyKeys » Mon May 21, 2018 5:18 pm

I agree the keyboard feels nice. I just wish it didn't have the black key issue. It depends on the voice but for some voices, the difference is fairly evident. The black keys switch velocity layers easier than white keys making a consistent sound difficult to achieve.

My other S80 though has that piano feel and a perfect response to velocity. I prefer the lighter feel of the Fusion for general playing though. It would be just about perfect as a general purpose 88 if the velocity response was even.
2ManyKeys
Advanced
Advanced

Postby Arevyn » Tue May 22, 2018 12:55 am

Is the velocity problem a software or hardware issue?
6HD+SSD - Yamaha CP33 - Casio PX5S - Ibanez AS93 with Graphtech Acoustiphonic System - Crafter SAT Hybrid Acoustic-Electric - Washburn WI64DL - Taylor 214CE QM Anniversary - 1982 Washburn D28 - Fibes Acoustic Bop Drums - Roland TD9 Hybrid kit -
Arevyn
General
General

Postby EXer » Tue May 22, 2018 4:55 am

2ManyKeys wrote:I agree the keyboard feels nice. I just wish it didn't have the black key issue. It depends on the voice but for some voices, the difference is fairly evident. The black keys switch velocity layers easier than white keys making a consistent sound difficult to achieve.

I had read about velocity discrepancies between the white and the black keys before buying my Fusion 3 years ago and I asked on this forum (see here), but I have never experienced any problem with the keys of my 8HD.

Arevyn wrote:Is the velocity problem a software or hardware issue?

The software should normally compensate the fact that a black key has a shorter lever than a white key and that on a digital instrument keyboard the weights are the same for all keys, contrary to an acoustic piano on which the shorter levers are compensated by different weights (notwithstanding the grading of the weights through the kbd span).

This software is probably not implemented in the main tone generator, but in the hardware which deals with the keyboard and which sends the note related information to the main processor, and it's possible there were 2 versions of it, the earliest not compensating the shorter levers of the black keys the same way as the latest.
___

Anyway, a trained pianist adapts their playing unconsciously or unthinkingly.
EXer
General
General

Postby 2ManyKeys » Tue May 22, 2018 6:10 am

There are actually two different Fatar keybeds for the 8HD. From what I read, one has the problem, and one doesn't. My 8HD is from October 2007 so it's fairly late in production. It could be that Fatar changed something in the design along the way that Alesis didn't account for in their FPGA code. That would make sense. They would have caught the velocity issue if it was in early production.

What year is yours EXer?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6942
2ManyKeys
Advanced
Advanced

Postby EXer » Tue May 22, 2018 7:04 am

It's a Klaus Schulze edition with an 80 GB HD, serial # is A106030908xxxxx
EXer
General
General

Postby 2ManyKeys » Tue May 22, 2018 7:31 am

So if we are correct about the date code yours is from March 2006. That would follow with my theory about a design change later in the production run. You and Jesse have earlier units and no velocity issues.

Note here on the Instrumental Parts site the two keybeds are listed.
https://www.instrumentalparts.com/alfu8hdsppa8.html
2ManyKeys
Advanced
Advanced

Previous

Return to General