Sound Module Anyone?

General questions about the fusion belong here.

Moderators: parametric, Jesse, jeebustrain

Sound Module Anyone?

Postby Arevyn » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:22 pm

so now that the prices of our 6hd's are coming down, has anyone thought of making a sound module with the guts?

Basically, Ive been thinking of taking the PCB's and PSU and all the connections and screen and whatnot and creating something a la Nord Electro 2 Rack, or Alesis QSR Rack synth.

I just had this idea the other day. Any thoughts?
6HD+SSD - Yamaha CP33 - Casio PX5S - Ibanez AS93 with Graphtech Acoustiphonic System - Crafter SAT Hybrid Acoustic-Electric - Washburn WI64DL - Taylor 214CE QM Anniversary - 1982 Washburn D28 - Fibes Acoustic Bop Drums - Roland TD9 Hybrid kit -
Arevyn
General
General

Re: Sound Module Anyone?

Postby parametric » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:27 pm

I think it may have been muted in the past, but never went further AFAIK . . . .

Many have bemoaned the fact that a module was never made originally . . .

Is the largest pcb able to fit in a 19" Rack?

Would be nice if a 3U Rack unit could happen . . .

I can't recall how big they looked when I was last inside . . . .

parametric
Alesis Fusions 8SSD + 6SSD/384Mb/120Gb SSD/Yamaha SY85/8.5Mb/1024kb/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash/Akai ADVANCE61/NI Komplete11 Ultimate/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu Mate 15.04/M-Audio MicroTrack

https://chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
parametric
Extreme
Extreme

Postby Arevyn » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:40 pm

I think the hardest part would be to move things around enough to fit in a small box as opposed to something thats just a 6hd without keys. By that I mean including all the I/O, the display, HDD and all knobs, buttons and wheels
6HD+SSD - Yamaha CP33 - Casio PX5S - Ibanez AS93 with Graphtech Acoustiphonic System - Crafter SAT Hybrid Acoustic-Electric - Washburn WI64DL - Taylor 214CE QM Anniversary - 1982 Washburn D28 - Fibes Acoustic Bop Drums - Roland TD9 Hybrid kit -
Arevyn
General
General

Postby parametric » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:21 am

Agreed.

The I/O stuff is (IIRC) ALL pcb mounted - which fixes where it would emerge in another box.

Those maybe would need to be removed and CABLED to chassis-mounted sockets at a position of OUR choice. (And there's a lot of them).

It WOULD be desirable to retain the individual outs (as well as the Mains/AUXs)

HDD - less of a problem . . . . SSD would be smaller . . .

CF card is pcb mounted. - might have to be removed and tortuously cabled to a chassis mounted version. Could be we MUST HAVE it?

If we are trying to make a MIDI MODULE, then we only need midi control? PB and MOD can go?

Would it be happy to see NO KEYBOARD attached when it wakes up?

Likewise, the TWO control panels. Not ideally laid out to suit making them FRONT mounted.

The display and the data wheel, inc/dec buttons probably essential.

(We would NEED to be able to switch LOCAL=OFF)

Needs an engineer to look at the problem and clearly define which is MODULE Stuff and which is WORKSTATION STUFF - and hence what is really needed to keep . . .

. . . and if it will work with the rest - MISSING?

NOT ever having had details of the MIDI DATA FORMAT is also NOT helpful to this enterprise. . .

I'm not saying it's impossible - but there are several BIG ASKS involved.

I might run the idea past Taiho. In fairness, he has probably forgotten much since he was working on the Fusion, but his rememberings MIGHT shortcut many of our questions as to whether this might be possible (or NOT) . . .

parametric
Alesis Fusions 8SSD + 6SSD/384Mb/120Gb SSD/Yamaha SY85/8.5Mb/1024kb/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash/Akai ADVANCE61/NI Komplete11 Ultimate/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu Mate 15.04/M-Audio MicroTrack

parametric
Extreme
Extreme

Postby Jesse » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:22 am

parametric wrote:Agreed.

The I/O stuff is (IIRC) ALL pcb mounted - which fixes where it would emerge in another box.

Those maybe would need to be removed and CABLED to chassis-mounted sockets at a position of OUR choice. (And there's a lot of them).

It WOULD be desirable to retain the individual outs (as well as the Mains/AUXs)

HDD - less of a problem . . . . SSD would be smaller . . .

CF card is pcb mounted. - might have to be removed and tortuously cabled to a chassis mounted version. Could be we MUST HAVE it?

If we are trying to make a MIDI MODULE, then we only need midi control? PB and MOD can go?

Would it be happy to see NO KEYBOARD attached when it wakes up?

Likewise, the TWO control panels. Not ideally laid out to suit making them FRONT mounted.

The display and the data wheel, inc/dec buttons probably essential.

(We would NEED to be able to switch LOCAL=OFF)

Needs an engineer to look at the problem and clearly define which is MODULE Stuff and which is WORKSTATION STUFF - and hence what is really needed to keep . . .

. . . and if it will work with the rest - MISSING?

NOT ever having had details of the MIDI DATA FORMAT is also NOT helpful to this enterprise. . .

I'm not saying it's impossible - but there are several BIG ASKS involved.

I might run the idea past Taiho. In fairness, he has probably forgotten much since he was working on the Fusion, but his rememberings MIGHT shortcut many of our questions as to whether this might be possible (or NOT) . . .

parametric

Also check with Brian for some insight at https://sector101.co.uk/about.html
Tempus & Ludwig drums, Roto Toms-Djembe, Bongo's, Ibanez Bass, Fusion8HD, SUMO300 Amps, Alesis16 Firewire mixer, AKG D112-Behringer, B2-Shure, Beta 58a mics, Win10, Audigy soundcard, Audition3 & East West Goliath sound bank
Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Arevyn » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:19 pm

Thank Para!

You covered a few things I had thought of as well, but had ideas I hadnt even considered too. It's so great to be able to brainstorm with others for that very reason!

I hadn't even considered if the OS would notice the keybed being gone or if it would be happy with any of the changes. It is a pretty picky system after all. I would wonder if all new boards would have to be created or if they could simply be flipped around and mounted to a plate all together.

I found a couple threads from the early days of this forum of others asking if there was ever a module version. It seems like something Alesis would have considered more after they came out with the QSR and it seems many were happy with that.

Too bad Alesis never put the funding behind it. A kickstarter might be a good feeler to gauge interest too if we ever wanted to try to make more than a one-off
Arevyn
General
General

Postby Jesse » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:20 pm

There are only a couple of wires connecting the keyboard uplug them and see how it works, then try connecting a midi keyboard and see how that works :)
Tempus & Ludwig drums, Roto Toms-Djembe, Bongo's, Ibanez Bass, Fusion8HD, SUMO300 Amps, Alesis16 Firewire mixer, AKG D112-Behringer, B2-Shure, Beta 58a mics, Win10, Audigy soundcard, Audition3 & East West Goliath sound bank
Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Arevyn » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:26 am

Yeah my thoughts exactly, Jesse! I think since this is mostly uncharted territory it's mainly gonna be by trial and error. Plus whatever can be done before really dismantling works be good.
I wish there was more demand for these boards because I'd there was Alesis could really get back in the pro market for keyboards and workstations
Arevyn
General
General

Postby parametric » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:42 am

Check your <PM> Arevyn . . . :wink:

para

parametric
Extreme
Extreme

Postby 2ManyKeys » Mon May 14, 2018 8:39 am

After spending hours this weekend replacing the LCD and installing an SSD in my 8HD, I couldn't be more in accord on this. I would love to have this engine in something of a reasonable weight. Working on the 8HD internals is not fun.
Last edited by 2ManyKeys on Tue May 15, 2018 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2ManyKeys
Advanced
Advanced

Postby Jesse » Mon May 14, 2018 11:37 pm

An Akai MPC 5000 is basically half a Fusion (one sound engine instead of two) with a CDROM Recorder and no keyboard
Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Arevyn » Tue May 15, 2018 1:15 am

So the other day I took my 6hd apart to clean under my keys and the contact strips. I disconnected the keyboard and booted it up. I didnt have an error. I didnt have a midi keyboard to try out using sounds via midi, but I thought I would put forth this finding at least. :-)
Arevyn
General
General

Postby 2ManyKeys » Tue May 15, 2018 2:14 pm

Nice result. Thanks for the info.
2ManyKeys
Advanced
Advanced

Postby parametric » Tue May 15, 2018 6:37 pm

Hmm Arevyn . . . .

Nice to know the Fusion doesn't throw a wobbler if it sees no Keybed . . . .

para

parametric
Extreme
Extreme

Postby Arevyn » Wed May 16, 2018 6:05 pm

ok, so I disconnected the keybed again and ran a midi cable to my computer soundcard and played some midi in my recording program. it worked beautifully! Also, all other functions seemed to work as intended even without the keyboard.

I think that a module would work given the above testing.

Still playing around with it, but will let you guys know what else I find
Arevyn
General
General

Next

Return to General