Fusion with Quadraverb 2 via ADAT?

General questions about the fusion belong here.

Moderators: parametric, Jesse, jeebustrain

Fusion with Quadraverb 2 via ADAT?

Postby 2ManyKeys » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:03 am

I already have the amazingly flexible Quadraverb 2 effects processor. I have never used the ADAT I/O on the unit but it occurs to me that the Fusion's ADAT output should pipe directly into the Quadraverb 2 for improved effects without going through more AD/DA stages. I have never been impressed with the front-end noise on the Quadraverb 2 but going in via the ADAT might improve the Quadraverb 2 as well by skipping it's whole front end.

Has anybody tried this? My 8HD won't be here for a few days yet so I'm just pondering my hookup options at this point.

If not... I will post my results.

Thanks,

Scott
2ManyKeys
Advanced
Advanced

Re: Fusion with Quadraverb 2 via ADAT?

Postby Jesse » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:36 pm

By all means Scott let us know how it works out :)
Tempus & Ludwig drums, Roto Toms-Djembe, Bongo's, Ibanez Bass, Fusion8HD, SUMO300 Amps, Alesis16 Firewire mixer, AKG D112-Behringer, B2-Shure, Beta 58a mics, Win10, Audigy soundcard, Audition3 & East West Goliath sound bank
Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby 2ManyKeys » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:12 pm

Will do. The Quadraverb 2 has 18 bit DAC's, but I believe the analog stages on the 16 front end are the main source of noise in that unit. We shall see if I was correct. I have other effects units that are quieter, but the Q2 is just amazing in what it lets you do with effects routing. They did make a cleaner version later called the Q20 which has as you might have guessed 20 bit converters. Those are somewhat rare and the prices are really kind of silly on eBay and elsewhere.
2ManyKeys
Advanced
Advanced

Postby parametric » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:21 pm

2ManyKeys wrote:the Fusion's ADAT output should pipe directly into the Quadraverb 2 for improved effects without going through more AD/DA stages.

IIRC Scott, there is something a bit weird about the Fusion's implementation of ADAT . . .

I think you get FOUR channels of Audio, the other Four are some kind of send/returns . .

This is strange considering they invented ADAT - you'd have thought 8 tracks of digital Audio would be more logical?

At the Uni I worked at, we used two ADATS slaved together for 16 tracks - to replace our 2" Soundcraft recorders.

Eventually we moved to Two Fostex RD-8s. They were fine when they worked, but quite honestly, the VHS transport system was not really meant for a professional environment - especially with the constant winding/re-winding etc.

Nevertheless - Kudos to Alesis for including it.

The S/PDif works well too. I use it a lot to record my Synth tracks (soloed) as Audio, to drop in to Reaper - so I don't loose the Fusion's Programs (Voices).

parametric
Alesis Fusions 8SSD + 6SSD/384Mb/120Gb SSD/Yamaha SY85/8.5Mb/1024kb/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash/Akai ADVANCE61/NI Komplete11 Ultimate/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu Mate 15.04/M-Audio MicroTrack

https://chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
parametric
Extreme
Extreme

Postby 2ManyKeys » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:45 am

The Quadraverb 2 is only capable of processing 2 of the 8 channels anyhow. As long as the main out feeds are in there it should be able to pick them out and process them. This would just be a bonus with the Fusion as I don't have any other ADAT compatible stuff and I have other effects units.

I could certainly pipe the s/pdif into my Lexicon MXP200. It has nice reverbs and a great through-zero flanger but other effects on the Lex like pitch shifting, tremolo and rotary and plagued with terrible artifacts. My nicest effects unit by far is the Ensoniq Dp Pro. That thing is amazing. Too bad Ensoniq bought the farm.

but I digress. :-)

I will try out the Quadraverb 2 via ADAT and post the results.
2ManyKeys
Advanced
Advanced

Postby Drummond » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:15 pm

ADAT Channel 1 = Main Out Left
ADAT Channel 2 = Main Out Right
ADAT Channel 3 = Aux Out Left
ADAT Channel 4 = Aux Out Right
ADAT Channel 5 = Insert 1 Send Left
ADAT Channel 6 = Insert 2 Send Left
ADAT Channel 7 = Insert 3 Send Left
ADAT Channel 8 = Insert 4 Send Left

Fusion need to provide the master clock if I remember correctly.
Alesis Fusion 6HD, 384mb, 80gb; Alesis Vortex Wireless; Access Virus B; Univox Compac II; Hammond XK1C; Korg Kronos, 3gb/160gb; Moog Slim Phatty; Roland JP8000; Oberheim Matrix 1000; Behringer Deepmind 12; Yamaha Reface DX; Roli Seaboard Block, Casio MT600 and PT82; Cubase 9.5; Steinberg UR824; Motu Microlite / http://www.estudiodrummond.com.br
Drummond
General
General

Postby 2ManyKeys » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:00 pm

Hopefully I'll be able to test this at some point next week provided Fedex is nice to it while on the trip. :(
2ManyKeys
Advanced
Advanced

Postby Jesse » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:44 am

Awesome, looking forward to your Quadraverb 2 project results :)
Tempus & Ludwig drums, Roto Toms-Djembe, Bongo's, Ibanez Bass, Fusion8HD, SUMO300 Amps, Alesis16 Firewire mixer, AKG D112-Behringer, B2-Shure, Beta 58a mics, Win10, Audigy soundcard, Audition3 & East West Goliath sound bank
Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby 2ManyKeys » Wed May 02, 2018 11:35 am

Yup, works perfectly! The Quadraverb 2 has the ability to select any two channels from the ADAT optical input and 1 & 2 are the defaults. Clearly the Fusion puts it's stereo feed on 1&2 so all I had to do was select ADAT IN and it sync'd right up and passed the audio through the processor. The Fusion's digital output is not scaled by the volume control and it doesn't seem there is any form of digital gain so the final sample levels of the current algorithm are the levels that get pumped out the digital outputs. Nice and clean.
2ManyKeys
Advanced
Advanced

Postby Jesse » Wed May 02, 2018 8:11 pm

Great!
Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby parametric » Thu May 03, 2018 5:05 pm

That's SWEET! and good to know . . . . .

Talking digitally, I DO frequently use the S/PDif out - when I am wanting to use the Fusion's Programs in Reaper.
I just solo the track and record "The Song".

The M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96 is long in the tooth now, but works very well.

Small Record Fusion spdif 1.jpg
M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96
Small Record Fusion spdif 1.jpg (397.01 KiB) Viewed 409 times

I replaced the internal Li-ion battery with an iphone battery - and it will record for over 2 hours now.

parametric
Alesis Fusions 8SSD + 6SSD/384Mb/120Gb SSD/Yamaha SY85/8.5Mb/1024kb/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash/Akai ADVANCE61/NI Komplete11 Ultimate/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu Mate 15.04/M-Audio MicroTrack

https://chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
parametric
Extreme
Extreme

Postby 2ManyKeys » Fri May 04, 2018 4:49 pm

The Quadraverb 2 is really an amazing effects unit which makes quite an addition to the Fusion should anyone be interested. Going ADAT is great as it completely bypasses the 16 bit converter on the front end of the Q2. The converter is pretty quiet, but the ADAT optical link is super clean and avoids two conversion stages.
2ManyKeys
Advanced
Advanced

Postby 2ManyKeys » Mon May 07, 2018 7:12 am

I need to test the aux and bus feeds in the ADAT, but it certainly appears that the Q2 is an inexpensive way to get rack-quality effects on a given Fusion submix. Those internal FX processor chips from Wavefront in the Fusion are no competition for the Q2. Dedicated chips made the system and effects design simpler as the DSP's are dedicated to voice generation and the FX chips are completely independent. It would appear though that Alesis was trying to save part cost on an already costly design and got cheap on the FX processing unfortunately. At least we have an alternative!

This is one of the Insert FX processors for instance. Thus the limited nature of the Fusion onboard fx.

http://www.wavefrontsemi.com/products/AL3101pop.html

Believe me, for about $100, the Qaudraverb 2 effects are in a completely different class and the Q2 is quite unique in it's amazingly flexible processing and routing.
2ManyKeys
Advanced
Advanced

Return to General