Bonjour de Montréal!

New to the forum? Why not pop in and tell us a little about yourself??

Moderators: parametric, Jesse, jeebustrain

Bonjour de Montréal!

Postby aWcMTL » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:39 pm

Hi I am a new user, just acquired a beautiful (?) 8HD. My goal was to replace my Akai MPK88 by something that was as good or better as a main MIDI keyboard...while adding a slew of new possibilities. My reasoning was: why have a huge 88-note keyboard that takes all that space and doesn't make any sound? For just a bit more, I was able to replace the Akai with the Fusion. I have to say that the action on the 8HD is superior to the MPK88's. Also the left hand control section offers way more with all the switches and assignable knobs. Lots of sliders and switches on the Akai too...but mostly on the right side: not good for left hand control. In addition, the Akai only had 2-way split or layer capabilities, as opposed to all that is possible on the Alesis in Mix or Song mode.

As far as the sound possibilities in the Fusion...well I am not going to preach to the converts here! Nice complement to my Prophet '08 and vintage Yamaha analogs.
Just hoping that it will prove reliable (for studio use, not gigging with it).
aWcMTL
Junior
Junior

Re: Bonjour de Montréal!

Postby parametric » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:42 pm

Bonjour aWcMTL and welcome to the forums . . . .

You will find the 8HD is superb to play. I learned on a grand piano and (IMO) The Fusion's keybed is just as expressive in use.

It will serve as Mother Keyboard for Midi perfectly well, but there is much more available - as you will be finding out.

The HollowSun Commercial Banks are available for a small price, also Klaus' banks from backintimerecords are many and various.

Also, Joeri Peeters has some fine banks available . . .

E3 Memory expansion modules are avaiable (cheaply) from http://www.sector101.co.uk/exm-e3.html (you need two for full expansion).

Studio-based is "kindest" to the Fusion, but "gigablility" is much improved with the PATA SSD replacement, which I developed (detals are here in the forum) . . .

Enjoy your "new" Fusion!

parametric
Alesis Fusions 8SSD + 6SSD/384Mb/120Gb SSD/Yamaha SY85/8.5Mb/1024kb/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash/Akai ADVANCE61/NI Komplete11 Ultimate/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu Mate 15.04/M-Audio MicroTrack

https://chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
parametric
Extreme
Extreme

Return to New Users