My features request

A place to request new features and such for the Fusion.

Moderators: parametric, Jesse, jeebustrain

My features request

Postby EXer » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:05 am

First, I'd like to say that the more I use my 8HD the more I appreciate its very well thought out user interface and the quality and the versatility of its synth engine as well as its usefulness in a musical context.

The 88 keyboard (afaik, a Fatar TP/40) is good, although not as close to the real thing as the Roland PHA II / PHA III keybed.

Alesis has done a great job by providing relevant and useful OS updates for the Fusion. I'm really impressed by the list of bug fixes, new features/changes and sound ROM improvements (cf. Release Notes).

Now this is history, nevertheless after having used my Fusion for a couple of weeks I'd like to add my requests, although the odds of seeing them implemented are not good :mrgreen:
___

alternate tunings

The Fusion provides Equal Temperament, Just Major and Just Minor. I'm (also) in baroque music and the Fusion is a great sounding sampler, so I loaded good quality samples of a French harpsichord in my 8HD, and with careful programming I could obtain a very satisfactory harpsichord. Unfortunately the preset tunings on the Fusion are totally useless for baroque music; it's a real shame that it does not provide tunings like Kirnberger or Werckmeister (to play Bach), Vallotti (to play Couperin), meantone (for early baroque), etc., or at least user definable tunings. Since it already offers 2 alternate tunings it would just require to add some more tables.
___

'forward - loop - exit' sample play mode

When a sample consists in a head followed by a loop followed by a tail, the Fusion never plays the tail.
While a key is held down, the sample playback begins from the Sample Start point, moves to the Loop Start point and then repeats continuously from the Loop Start point to the Loop End point. The tail, i.e. the part of the sample from the Loop End point to the end of the sample, if never played.

What I want: same as above, but when the key is released the loop playback is cancelled and the sample playing goes on beyond the
Loop End point until the end of the sample. That is, the loop is looped until the key is released, then the tail is played till the end (during the release stage of the envelope). On the Yamaha synths this is called 'FwdLpEx' wave play (forward loop and exit); the former, without a tail, is 'FwdLp'.
___

shelving filter at oscillator level

What I want is a choice between the 'minimal filter' (i.e. a non resonant LP filter) offered by the Fusion at oscillator level and a shelving filter, i.e. a 2 shelves EQ the frequencies of which follow the key pitch of the oscillator. This feature is implemented in the Yamaha EX5 synth engine under the name 'SCF' (I know there are fellow EXers here!) and it's a very useful to improve the sound of a thin sounding multisample.
___

step record mode (in sequencer)
___

>> (I'll expand this list as I'm discovering my Fusion)
8HD + 2 x Sector101 EXM-E3 128MB DRAM modules
EXer
General
General

Re: My features request

Postby parametric » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:03 am

EXer wrote:First, I'd like to say that the more I use my 8HD the more I appreciate its very well thought out user interface and the quality and the versatility of its synth engine as well as its usefulness in a musical context.

The 88 keyboard (afaik, a Fatar TP/40) is good, although not as close to the real thing as the Roland PHA II / PHA III keybed.

Alesis has done a great job by providing relevant and useful OS updates for the Fusion. I'm really impressed by the list of bug fixes, new features/changes and sound ROM improvements (cf. Release Notes).

Now this is history, nevertheless after having used my Fusion for a couple of weeks I'd like to add my requests, although the odds of seeing them implemented are not good :mrgreen:
___

alternate tunings

The Fusion provides Equal Temperament, Just Major and Just Minor. I'm (also) in baroque music and the Fusion is a great sounding sampler, so I loaded good quality samples of a French harpsichord in my 8HD, and with careful programming I could obtain a very satisfactory harpsichord. Unfortunately the preset tunings on the Fusion are totally useless for baroque music; it's a real shame that it does not provide tunings like Kirnberger or Werckmeister (to play Bach), Vallotti (to play Couperin), meantone (for early baroque), etc., or at least user definable tunings. Since it already offers 2 alternate tunings it would just require to add some more tables.

Have a word with our member <SysExJohn> He has interests in Baroque AND MIDI . . .

He has his own Forum on the Subject of midi http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/ LOTS of interesting info there
___

EXer wrote:'forward - loop - exit' sample play mode

When a sample consists in a head followed by a loop followed by a tail, the Fusion never plays the tail.
While a key is held down, the sample playback begins from the Sample Start point, moves to the Loop Start point and then repeats continuously from the Loop Start point to the Loop End point. The tail, i.e. the part of the sample from the Loop End point to the end of the sample, if never played.

What I want: same as above, but when the key is released the loop playback is cancelled and the sample playing goes on beyond the
Loop End point until the end of the sample. That is, the loop is looped until the key is released, then the tail is played till the end (during the release stage of the envelope). On the Yamaha synths this is called 'FwdLpEx' wave play (forward loop and exit); the former, without a tail, is 'FwdLp'.
___

shelving filter at oscillator level

What I want is a choice between the 'minimal filter' (i.e. a non resonant LP filter) offered by the Fusion at oscillator level and a shelving filter, i.e. a 2 shelves EQ the frequencies of which follow the key pitch of the oscillator. This feature is implemented in the Yamaha EX5 synth engine under the name 'SCF' (I know there are fellow EXers here!) and it's a very useful to improve the sound of a thin sounding multisample.
___

>> (I'll expand this list as I'm discovering my Fusion)

Best one to ask is Klaus <kpr> he has EXTENSIVE knowledge in this area - as he is STILL creating Banks for the Fusion as you probably know.

His site is at http://www.backintimerecords.de/bitr004.htm

Hope that helps

parametric
Alesis Fusions 8SSD + 6SSD/384Mb/120Gb SSD/Yamaha SY85/8.5Mb/1024kb/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash/Akai ADVANCE61/NI Komplete10/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu Mate 15.04/M-Audio MicroTrack

http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
parametric
Extreme
Extreme

Postby Jesse » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:17 am

Good review and discussion, I agree Tables are probably good for what you are trying to achieve with alternate tunings.

This thread might be of interest to you also http://www.promusicproducts.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6124
Tempus & Ludwig drums, Roto Toms-Djembe, Bongo's, Ibanez Bass, Fusion8HD, SUMO300 Amps, Alesis16 Firewire mixer, AKG D112-Behringer, B2-Shure, Beta 58a mics, Win10, Audigy soundcard, Audition3 & East West Goliath sound bank
Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby kpr » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:01 pm

Alternate Tunings

I don't think that Tables will make it. Although I never tried it, the parameter set doesn't look like so as there are only 16 points for the entire keyboard. Tunings like Werckmeister, Valotti & Young are only implemented with Yamaha DX7II etc. but not Fusion.

Filter

If there is demand to make a thin sound thicker I recommoned Filter Band Boost types. It is a great help. Move through the frequency range while setting the Pole (2, 4, etc.) and the Resonance (high levels) to find out the best position, and then reduce the Resonance level to a decent one.

Sample Play Mode

Replay the remaining portion of a sound after Key Off isn't an option with the Fusion. I would splice the sample into 2 parts. One is sustained as long as a key is pressed down, the second is replayed when release the key and the setting of the concerned OSC is Trigger on Key up (checkbox).
Rock´n Roll is music, not driving instructions.
kpr
Advanced
Advanced

Postby Jesse » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:16 pm

Thanks for the information klaus :)
Tempus & Ludwig drums, Roto Toms-Djembe, Bongo's, Ibanez Bass, Fusion8HD, SUMO300 Amps, Alesis16 Firewire mixer, AKG D112-Behringer, B2-Shure, Beta 58a mics, Win10, Audigy soundcard, Audition3 & East West Goliath sound bank
Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby EXer » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:13 am

kpr wrote:Alternate Tunings
I don't think that Tables will make it.

I don't think either.

In my previous post I was NOT refering to a transfer Table in the modulation matrix, but to how more alternate tunings could be added in the OS.

I mean that, given the fact that the alternate tuning function is already implemented in the OS, giving the user more choices than Just Major and
Just Minor would be as easy as adding more internal tables in the code, assuming that this function works by reading an internal table giving the deviation from equal temperament for each note in an octave.

That said, of course I know there will never be a new OS release.
__

The only workaround, at user level, would be to work at multisample level by creating a new multi for each tuning, each of those multis having one zone for each note (even if 2 or more zones are based on the same sample, e.g. in case the original multi had a sample, say, every 2nd or 3rd) and by adjusting the Fine Tune parameter of each zone with its deviation from equal temperament for that note.

Although it's doable, that would be a awful lot of work (a multi for each tuning for each register (= stop) of the harpsichord) :-(
EXer
General
General

Postby EXer » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:15 am

kpr wrote:Filter

If there is demand to make a thin sound thicker I recommoned Filter Band Boost types. It is a great help. Move through the frequency range while setting the Pole (2, 4, etc.) and the Resonance (high levels) to find out the best position, and then reduce the Resonance level to a decent one.

I'll try this :idea:
EXer
General
General

Postby EXer » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:46 am

kpr wrote:Sample Play Mode

Replay the remaining portion of a sound after Key Off isn't an option with the Fusion. I would splice the sample into 2 parts. One is sustained as long as a key is pressed down, the second is replayed when release the key and the setting of the concerned OSC is Trigger on Key up (checkbox).

Thanks for your suggestion :wink:

I have done the following workaround:

The samples I want to play the way I described are samples of the release of a harpsichord (i.e. the sound produced when the plectrum passes back under the string after the key has been released, see below pic #3). Those samples include a 'blank' loop (no sound) followed by the release itself (see below pic #1).

I have worked at zone level in the multi to set the loop points between the second to last sample and the last sample (see below pic #2) and to trigger the oscillator upon key up (the release of my harpsichord have been sampled separately from the 'normal' sound).
___

Btw there is another shortage in the Fusion: there is no "one shot" sample play mode (in the Sample synth type).
___

__

A key resting
B key pressed, plectrum plucking string
C key held, string vibrating freely
D key released, plectrum passing back

EXer
General
General

Postby kpr » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:03 pm

Regarding Tables:

Yes, I was mainly answering to Jesse's hint. Tables can be found in the Modulation Matrix and are interesting for step-type modulations, but don't act like Tuning Tables at all. Sure, the 2 Tuning options could be expanded to more, even with user defined ones. But as you said there is no chance as the OS won't updated anymore. As you described a multisample with sample per each key would make is is the only chance. I did that with the Alphorn and it's natural tone, each note is assigned to a dedicated key. But it eats the limited RAM memory, so it's not really that good.

Harpsichord:

Your sample organisation is quite accurate, kudos for that. Usually I simply use the Trigger Key Up option and using the same Harpsi sample as for the Key Down as it gives the impression of the effect. But your concept is really cool.
Rock´n Roll is music, not driving instructions.
kpr
Advanced
Advanced

Return to Feature Request